Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Time will tell

I have a problem.

I must look knowledgable/unassuming, because everytime I walk in Israel (which is pretty much everyday) several people stop their cars, pull over, roll down their windows and ask me for directions.

Today on the way back from the Kotel (that's another story all together as to why I was there) three cars stopped and asked me how to reach their destinations. One even asked me where she could get something good to eat in Jerusalem.

And its a problem, because I only know enough Hebrew to understand what they are saying, but not enough to actually sound like I know what I'm talking about. I end up just telling them something simple like "ehh, go straight, then right." Which isn't incredibly helpful.

I guess I am so flattered that they ask me in Hebrew, that I forget that I can probably just answer them in English. I just hate getting that disappointed look in their faces when they find out I'm just an American, possibly a tourist, and most likely don't really know that much about Jerusalem, especially a good place for a genuine Israeli to eat. But the truth is that I know Jerusalem like the back of my hand, and am able to suggest many tasty places to eat.

Oh well, at least I don't look like a tourist as much anymore - and anyone who has been here for an extended period of time knows that's something that is very important in how you are treated here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home